“I am sure I’ll be fine from here on as I have been before.” These were the last words of Kyllikki Saari, a young Finnish girl a few moments before her death. They were spoken to her friend, Mayu, right before she rode her bike to the dark road towards her home on the fateful night of May 17, 1953.

However, what Mayu did not know that she would never see her friend again. Instead, her innocent mind would be tortured along with that of many others. This is what would become is one of the most upsetting mysteries in the history of Finland. That would be the one which gravely remembered for years to come. 

Throughout the world, unsolved murder cases are not uncommon in the Nordic country; however, the crime rate is one of the lowest in the world. If you would like to know the statistics, it is the 12th lowest, to be exact, and of course, it used to be even lower back in those days. It is then reasonable that such an awful crime would stain the hearts of the population, especially since no police authority or anybody could specify the killer. It shows that even in the most peaceful and kind places globally, there is always room for insanity and evil.

About Kyllikki Saari

Kyllikki Saari was born in Finland on December 6, 1935. She was a normal girl, religious, social, and worked in the parish office of Helsinki. She lived with her parents in the countryside house, outside the city near a town called Isojoki. 

On Sunday, May 17, 1953, 17-year-old Kyllikki returned around noon from the church in Isojoki, looking and feeling tired. She was supposed to go there again to attend a Christian youth event in the town that evening. Her parents reported that she was nervous about going, something unusual for her. She actually told her parents that she would like to meet her friends but was worried about the way back.

Kyllikki Saari (right) with her sisters

In an interview years later, Kyllikki’s Father, mentioned among others, “I know Saari, once she said that she didn’t always dare to go alone.” He later regretted not paying more attention to his daughter’s statement. 

The Night of Incident

Kyllikki ended up going to the event. She enjoyed with her friends until its end, around 10 pm. After this, the young girl started cycling home alongside her friend Mayu. They rode together until the crossroad where they would have to part ways. 3.3 miles or 6 kilometers of unit, dirt road separated Kyllikki from her home. It was the point where she spoke her last words. She tried to sound like everything was fine, but she talked nervously.

An incident caused this happy girl to be so afraid of being alone in the dark. One day, Kyllikki had been skiing the forest when something or someone scared her so much that she went off the trailing ski, too close to the house, and called her father to pick her up from there. This incident might be a lead on that someone has maybe had her in their sights already, and that maybe there was more to that darkness and loneliness that had made her feel nervous that fateful night.

Kyllikki Gone Missing:

It was not unusual for Kyllikki to sleep in Mayu’s place as she worked in the city center. Her parents did not look for her when she did not return home that night or the next morning. They became alert when they received a call from the parish office, asking them why their daughter had not shown up for work that day. That was very strange because Kyllikki was a punctual lady, and she wouldn’t usually act like this.

After that, the police were called. As it is usual with the small towns, news spreads fast. Some reports came early from a man who reported cycling past the girl at around 10:40 in the road where she disappeared. Two more witnesses said that they had seen the signs of struggle on the road on Monday morning, not far from where the man said he last saw Kyllikki for the last time.

There were road marks from a car that had made a U-turn as well as the bicycle marks, lots of footprints and shattered glass. There were many investigations as time passed by. Many suspects were summoned for inquiry, including a priest, a spy and a local, but no evidence could be traced. 

Even though the crime had gotten considerable media attention, the murderer has never been identified. The remains of the Kyllikki Saari were found on October 11, 1953, in a bog. Later that year, her bicycle was found in a marshy area. There were approximately 25,000 people at her funeral, which was held at Isojoki Church on October 25. It is still a mystery exactly what happened that night, who were the people behind and this most infamous murder in Finland remains unsolved.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here